“If the feds show up, let me know,” said BJ sitting at his computer in our old shop in East Hollywood.
That will get your attention. “What?” I asked.
“There’s this pilot that needs some glassware to put together a meth lab. So I just spent the past few hours surfing websites, researching everything you need to put together a meth lab,” said BJ tentatively. “Then I ordered pretty much everything you might need online and shipped it to some warehouse in New Mexico.”
“Did you clear your browser?” I asked, as if that would do anything. “Don’t worry about it.” Thankfully when we did get a call from the FBI later on, they just needed props for forensic training exercises.
That pilot was Breaking Bad, now entering its final season. Congrats to everyone who worked on the show over the years. Special thanks to propmaster Mark Hansen for continuing to use Dapper Cadaver as one of his many sources for props. We especially enjoyed providing some burn bodies and body parts a couple of seasons back.
Tune into the Breaking Bad Season Premiere on AMC this Sunday at 9/8c. Can’t wait to see how this all will end…
It’s wonderful to live in a town that really supports its horror filmmakers and fans. In September and October, you could attend a new horror film festival nearly every weekend. So break out your calendar and make sure to red pencil-in these LA area horror film festivals.
Presented in order of date:
- International Fear and Fantasy Film Festival (Burbank, CA) – The festival screens films from upcoming filmmakers and genre classics. supports a wide range of fear and fantasy films, including documentaries on social fear, science fiction and hardcore genre films. Last held: May 7 – 11, 2013 http://fearandfantasy.com/
- Big Bear Horro-Fi Film Festival (Big Bear, CA) – Where horror filmmakers and fans share their “grizzly” stories and then attempt to fall sleep in their cabin in the woods each night. Sounds like fun to us! Last held: May 18 – 19, 2013 http://bigbearhorrorfilmfest.com/
- Viscera Film Festival (Hollywood, CA) – Celebrating genre and horror films by women. Last held: July 13, 2013 http://www.viscerafilmfestival.com/
- Everybody Dies Film Festival (Orange County, CA) – Because everyone knows that the OC is a terrifying place. And a great place to see indie horror films. Save the date: September 13 – 15, 2013 http://everybodydiesfilmfest.com/
- H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival (San Pedro, CA) – A must-attend if you are an H.P. Lovecraft fan. And why wouldn’t Cthulu be hiding in the Port of Los Angeles these days? Save the date: September 27 – 29, 2013 http://www.hplfilmfestival.com/
- Shriekfest (Hollywood, CA) – International horror/thriller/sci-fi/fantasy festival and screenplay competition. Dapper Cadaver is excited to be sponsoring the Best Short Screenplay award this year! Save the date: October 3 – 6, 2013 http://www.shriekfest.com/
- Screamfest (Hollywood, CA) – The largest and longest running horror film festival in the United States. Save the date: October 8 – 17, 2013 https://screamfestla.com
- LA Horror Fest (Hollywood, CA) – Celebrating independent filmmakers in the horror genre. Great way to spend your Halloween weekend. Save the date: October 26 – 27, 2013 http://www.lahorrorfest.com/
- Shockfest Film Festival (Hollywood, CA) – Celebrates films that are different from the mainstream, including documentaries and music videos. Also hosts a Miss Shockfest competition. Last held: November 16 – 17, 2012 Check the site for 2013 dates. http://www.shockfilmfest.com/
Are there any Los Angeles horror film fests that I missed? Post them in the comments section!
We don’t have an official booth at Comi-Con this year. But you can still see some Dapper Cadaver props at Comi-Con 2013! Stop by the FANGORIA booth #4018 and get your picture taken with our guillotine and other spooky props. Also, if you love zombies (and who doesn’t?), participate in The Walking Dead Escape to see some of our corpse props and body parts in action.
FANGORIA booth at Comi-Con 2013 courtesy of the lovely Rebekah McKendry.
We are mighty jealous of all you folks enjoying the show, especially with such an amazing line-up of horror sessions happening tomorrow.
Do you think Dapper Cadaver should get a Comi-Con booth next year? Let us know in the comments!